Re: Critique of Research Fortnight article on RCUK policy proposal

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:35:33 +0100

    Prior AmSci Topic Thread (started September 16, 2005):
    "Critique of Research Fortnight article on RCUK policy proposal
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4761.html

On Thu, 6 Oct05, Sally Morris (ALPSP) wrote:

> Interesting that Stevan chooses to ignore key points in my message: IOP
> didn't say 'the opposite' at all - they said subs hadn't been affected
> 'yet'; as Ken Lillywhite's message makes clear, they fully expect subs to
> suffer as the logical consequence of the fall in downloads - and Bob
> Michaelson's message shows that their fear is justified

Please do look again, Sally, as I did duly note the "yet":

    "'Yet' can quite safely and reasonably be appended to everything I
    have seen and heard, and it makes not a whit of difference."

And the target of "opposite" was also fully clarified:

    "What I should have said was that the diminished article downloads
    do not equal, nor do they imply, diminished subscriptions, and
    that IOP had said exactly the opposite: That despite replication
    in a repository (ArXiv) IOP had [1] found no diminished subscriptions,
    [2] does not consider self-archiving a threat, [3] cooperates with Arxiv,
    and indeed [4] will soon be hosting a mirror of Arxiv.

[1] - [4] are all true, and constitute the *substance* of what we
are talking about: ("Is there any evidence that self-archiving causes
cancellations?" Answer: No. "Is IOP opposing self-archiving ?" Answer: No.)

You, dear Sally, have instead always refocused the question from objective
evidence (about actual self-archiving and actual cancellations) to subjective
worries (about possible future cancellations) for which there is as yet no
objective evidence at all. And you have tried (but were, I am afraid, destined to
be unsuccessful) to interpret the perfectly true, but perfectly irrelevant
statement that IOP has recorded lower *downloads* at its website, as if it were
evidence of present or future cancellations. It is not:

     "This statement [that IOP finds diminished downloads for
     self-archived articles] is perfectly true but in no way implies what
     ALPSP cites it to imply (i.e., that diminished downloads are evidence
     that self-archiving causes cancellations), for that is the exact
     opposite of what the Institute of Physics has said (Swan & Brown05)."

So please do keep the two propositions in focus:

True: IOP website downloads are reduced by self-archiving
False: IOP subscriptions are reduced by self-archiving
True: IOP welcomes self-archiving and is even mirroring Arxiv at their website
False: IOP, like ALPSP, is opposing self-archiving

These are the objective facts. The rest is about subjective worries,
which, with Rene Descartes, I tend to regard as incorrigible (to the
worrier), hence impenetrable to doubt (by the worrier), yet eminently
fallible. (I cannot doubt that I have a tooth-ache, when I have a
tooth-ache, but I can doubt that the tooth-ache means there's anything
wrong with my tooth, even though it feels like it: it might be referred
pain from another organ, or even just neurasthenic pain.)

As to librarian anecdotes about cancellation practices: First, you will
agree that they do not amount to much until/unless they translate into
measurable objective effects (which both APS and IOP have said they
could not detect, across 14 years of self-archiving). Apart from that,
librarian anecdotes can be freely traded. Here's one of my favorites:

    "Personal communication from a UK University Library Director:
    'I know of no HE library where librarians make cancellation or
    subscription decisions. Typically they say to the department/faculty
    'We have to save £X,000" from your share of the serials budget: what
    do you want to cut?'. These are seen as academic --not metrics-driven
    -- judgements, and no librarian makes those academic judgements, as
    they are indefensible in Senate' [S]uch decisions are almost always
    wholly subjective, not objective, and have nothing to do with the
    existence or otherwise of repositories.'
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/20-guid.html

In my next posting, I will turn to the consequences of failing to
exercise the Cartesian faculty of critical analysis, one-sidedly hewing
to subjective worries, while ignoring objective counter-evidence. I will
do a critique of the following unsigned article that has just appeared in
Research Fortnight:

http://www.researchresearch.com/getPage.cfm?pagename=RFEdition&ElementID=33310&lang=EN&type=10.03&Issue=10.03

    "The Dangers of Open Access, RCUK Style"
    Unsigned Article, Research Fortnight:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm