Re: Do PrePrints and PostPrints Need a Copyright Licence?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:14:54 +0100

My colleagues Steve Hitchcock and Charles Oppenheim are right and I am
wrong (see below). It is better not adopt a CC license even for the
self-archived preprint (and not just not-adopt one for the self-archived
postprint, as I had mistakenly suggested).

In other words, Roger Clarke's advice is erroneous and should not be
followed in either case. The implicit copyright is protection enough
for the self-archived preprint, and no further rights need be ceded to
the user as all the requisite OA rights come with the territory, once
a full-text is self-archived free for all on the web.

Self-archive and leave well enough alone. CC licenses are for other
purposes, not those of OA self-archiving of either preprints or
postprints. (E.g., they are fine for OA publishing.)

Stevan Harnad