Re: Do PrePrints and PostPrints Need a Copyright Licence?

From: Imre Simon <imres_at_UOL.COM.BR>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:35:24 -0200

I agree. But it is important to keep in mind that properly licensing a
preprint, publishing the paper with a (willing) publisher and
distributing the postprint with an approriate Creative Commons license
are all compatible.

The catch is the "willing" publisher. But, I am confident that the Open
Access movement can successfully work on that. Physicists publish
preprints since ages (arXiv), even if they do not always use a license
to do that and publishers are still happy to publish their papers. Legal
scholars are beginning to put together their own version, including
proper licensing terms in all stages of the process. Perhaps the
perspectives are positive for progress in other areas too.

Cheers,

Imre Simon