Re: Guide juridique CNRS

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:01:50 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Mandating will probably do the job: existing polls support this
conclusion as repeatedly (!!!!) underscored by Stevan Harnad.

However, no one should underestimate the difficulty of obtaining this
result. And saying this is not a covert way of resisting to the
mandating imperative, or being simply pessimistic. It is the reality
that we face everywhere. It will also take quite a bit of time - again,
not a pessimistic, but a realistic assessment of the situation.
Opponents are many - I will let Stevan Harnad name them if he
wants ... :-) - and quite active, as anyone following the British
situation can attest.

Consequently, pushing for a mandate should not be the only target of our
efforts in favour of OA. And doing so will neither weaken the push for a
mandate, or muddle the objectives of OA supporters.

While assisting efforts to mandate self-archiving wherever possible, it
makes sense to me to support the development of incentives and other
means to progress in the direction of open access. Creating some
branding capacity with repositories wherever possible will help. Making
tenure and promotion committees take notice of these new branding
mechanisms will help.

On the mandating side, more than authors can be mandated; journals that
receive public support - and there thousands of them all over the world
- should also be mandated to be fully green and, even better, to change
their business model so as to become OA journals.

If we could at least agree on this general platform, I believe we would
move faster and better toward full OA.

Jean-Claude Guédon

Le mercredi 30 novembre 2005 Ă  13:36 +0000, Stevan Harnad a Ă©crit :

--
Dr. Jean-Claude Guédon
Dept. of Comparative Literature