Re: Functioning IRs - today's real realities

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:12:49 +0000

The cost of setting up an archive in most developing
country institutions is much less than what librarians
from advanced countries are quoting. Please talk to Mr
Francis Jayakanth of the National Centre for Science
Information at the Indian Institute of Science, who is
running one of the best institutional open access
archives in this part of the world. Or talk to his
Chairman, Prof. N Balakrishnan, Associate Director of
IISc, who is heading the Indian part of the Million
Books digitization project as well.

What developing country scientists need today is an
archive of research papers that are published (or
going to be published) in refereed professional
journals. Not a comprehensive repository which would
include annual report of the institution, admission
records, proceedings of the senate and syndicate
meetings, etc. We need access to hard research
information which we are unable to get now because we
do not have the money to subscribe to all the journals
relevant to the research we do.

Again, OA journals produced in India are produced at a
much lower cost than PLos and BMC and other advanced
country author-pay OA journals. And NOT one of them
charges author fees. Please talk to Mr G Madhavan,
Secretary of Indian Academy of Sciences, and Dr D K
Sahu of MedKnow Publications.

I am fed up hearing reasons for not adopting OA citing
wrong numbers (on costs).

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]

<http://library.uncwil.edu/Faculty/kempr/listserv-summary-IR-open-source-costs.xls>http://library.uncwil.edu/Faculty/kempr/listserv-summary-IR-open-source-costs.xls