Re: Mandated OA for publicly-funded medical research in the US

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:54:50 +0000

Re-posted from Peter Suber's Open Access News
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2005_12_11_fosblogarchive.html#113456559232769957

            Where's the press on CURES?

    Ana Radelat has a six-sentence note on the CURES Act

http://lieberman.senate.gov/documents/bills/051207curesbill.pdf

    in the December 11 Hattiesburg American

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051211/NEWS05/512110316/1002/NEWS01

    and a two-sentence note in the Clarion Ledger, two Mississippi papers.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051211/NEWS/512110357/1002/NEWS01

    The CURES Act is co-sponsored by Senator Thad Cochran of
    Mississippi. What's notable is that this is all the news coverage
    I've seen since the bill was announced on December 7.

http://lieberman.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=249566

    It appears that the most extensive coverage of the bill to date
    is here in Open Access News.

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2005_12_04_fosblogarchive.html#113413512422857244

    I'm no longer surprised when blogs outperform the MSM. But I'd
    like this bill to pass and for that it needs wider press. Isn't it
    newsworthy that CURES would spend $5 billion, create a new federal
    agency, devote itself to curing major diseases, and mandate open
    access to federally-funded medical research? (Note to U.S. Senators:
    The next time you introduce a significant bill, mention Brad Pitt,
    Angelina Jolie, or torture somewhere in the title.)

Permanent link posted by Peter Suber at 12/13/2005 02:24:00 PM.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2005_12_11_fosblogarchive.html#113456559232769957