declaring your interests.

From: Rich Roberts <roberts_at_NEB.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:12:29 -0500

Mr Ward:

I was at first offended by the suggestion that I was not aware of BMC's
involvement in rallying support against the misguided statement from the
Royal Society. My own view is that it was very generous of Matt Cockerill
to spend the time getting some of us organized. It is the sort of thing I
would have done myself had I known of the open letter. Apparently it
wasn't quite as open as one might have wished.

In the interests of declaring interests, I am an ardent advocate of open
access publication having written extensively about it and championing it
at every opportunity. I also was heavily involved in making sure that
Nucleic Acids Research became the first subscription-based journal to move
to an open access model - I am one of their senior editors.

It is too bad that so many supposedly not-for-profit academic societies
have felt so pressured financially to oppose open access. They certainly
seem to be serving Mammon rather than their members. Perhaps they should
openly confess their conflicts, especially since the decisions are usually
being made by a small clique of members without direct consultation of the
rest. I would really like to see a poll carried out of all the FRSs to see
how the majority feel.

Rich Roberts
Chief Scientific Officer New England Biolabs
Senior Executive Editor Nucleic Acids Research
Editorial Board Member PLoS Biology
1993 Nobel Laureate in Physiology or Medicine