Re: From ROAR to DOAR

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:40:47 +0000

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Simone da Rocha Weitzel wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a number of articles/papers archived
> until now around the world and the number of uses.

ROAR (Registry of Open Access Repositories) gives you counts and growth
charts for numbers of OA archives as well as number of items archived
in each:

    http://archives.eprints.org/

For usage statistics, see Arthur Sale's download counters

    "Self-Archiving Incentives: Download Impact Counts"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4086.html

and the ongoing collaborative study by Arthur Sale (U. Tasmania),
Alma Swan (Key Perspectives) and Les Carr (U. Southampton) on:

    "Interoperable repositories: usage statistics"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4926.html

Usage statistics have now been implemented in the Eprints OA IR software
(and will no doubt soon be implemented in the other OA IR softwares too):

    http://www.eprints.org/software/

Stevan Harnad