Re: From ROAR to DOAR - How [many] articles are free?

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 19:39:19 -0500

In doing the recent OA and OAA studies with Harnad's group,
we were not able to distinguish delayed OA vs
immediate OA. We did want to tell them apart, because I think all
of us felt that delayed OA is not really OA--people deserve to see
the current research as well as the older.

But looking at the web a year or two later,
these articles appear to be OA.
We could have eliminated them by checking the journal names,
since the major delayed OA journals are known, but such a discrimination
was not made in the Harnad and Brody or Chawkii work, so
we didn't make it either.

Since the individual articles were checked by both groups, the
hybrid/optional OA items were detected as OA. Among the articles checked,
there seem to be a certain number that were posted as publishers' pdf's
by other than the authors--usually someone using them as e-reserves
and being so careless as not to limit access to the members of
the class. We counted them as OA, because they could also have
been articles where permission had been obtained from the publisher.

The feeling we are left with, both our work, the DOAR work,
 and our daily work as librarians and as users, is the great
simplification there would be if we were reach 100% OA.
Myself, I don't think IRs are the perfect solution or will be
the eventual solution, but they are certainly the fastest way to
start. I thus emphatically agree with Stevan that getting this basic
access established as quickly as possible is the primary goal.

I want to be able to give students the instruction:
First try to connect through the journal's website. If it
doesn't work, just find out where the author works
from INSPEC (etc) or Google, go to that institutions IR,
and read the article.
The necessary instructions now are 5 or 10 times as long.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu