Re: A Simple Way to Optimize the NIH Public Access Policy

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:40:37 -0500

Stevan,

once we have efficent and universal harvesting
and indexing, you've said before that it shouldn't make any
difference where the article is primarily posted.

In the present situation, isn't there good reason in some fields
to using subject repositories, for some, like arXiv, are used
in part by people who scan the daily input in their
field; putting them elsewhere would lose the early
notification part of OAA.

In the context of PMC, anyone not personally
involved woul recognize that it is not good to have
a repository that authors refuse to use. I don't
mean to be discussing that aspect.

Dr. David Goodman

Long Island University
and formerly