Re: Question for publishers - Research Assessment Exercise 2008

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:08:18 +0000

Let's be even briefer: I agree with everything Fytton writes below, except
that licensing is or ever was necessary. What Fytton misses, however,
is the *causal connection* between the filling of each institution's IR
by 2008 (about which he is pessimistic) and the RAE blanket licensing
arrangement (which he thinks is/was necessary).

In point of fact, RAE's licensing the content from publishers, instead of
*mandating* that it be deposited in each institution's IR, was a natural
opportunity, missed.

Let us hope that RCUK will not miss the opportunity: We *can* have 100%
OA by 2008; all we have to do is mandate it!

(And authors have as much as *told* us so, with 95% ready to comply
as soon as required, and the 2 universities [QUT, Minho], 1 research
institution [CERN] and 1 university department [Southampton ECS] that
have already had the good sense to mandate, already reporting success
rates well on the road toward 100%.)

    Harnad, S., Carr, L., Brody, T. & Oppenheim, C. (2003) Mandated
    online RAE CVs Linked to University Eprint Archives: Improving
    the UK Research Assessment Exercise whilst making it cheaper and
    easier. Ariadne 35.
    http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue35/harnad/

    Swan, A. (2005) Open access self-archiving: An Introduction. Technical
    Report, JISC, HEFCE. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11006/

    RCUK Draft Proposal
    http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/access/index.asp

    Mandates so far: