Scientometric data-mining of ROAR, citebase and the download/citation correlator

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:39:08 +0000

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Caroline Lloyd wrote:

> I'm giving a presentation on open access publishing to an academic
> committee and will be emphasising the importance of IRs. It would be
> useful to quote some figures about how many there are in universities in
> the UK, US and other parts of the world. I've had a look at OpenDOAR and
> ROAR but can't find a way to only retrieve IRs in unis by country.
> Does anyone know where this info might be available?

Go to ROAR http://archives.eprints.org/
In the pull down menu "Any content type" select:
"Research Institutional or Departmental"

Then just pull down the "Any Geographic Country" Menu and read off
the numbers for each country (holding your finger down).

You can also rank-order the output by the size of the archive; and you
can get individual or joint growth charts for archives and archive-contents.

ROAR has many powerful analytic capabilities. It's worth taking a
few moments to explore them. As I've said before, richly informative
articles could be written based simply on the wealth of current data and
analyses automatically provided by ROAR, with just a few well-chosen
keystrokes. (Soton hasn't enough fingers to do *everything* for the
world OA community! Others will need to show a bit more scholarly and
webmetric initiative!)

(Ditto for citebase and for the download/citation correlator, by the way!
http://www.citebase.org/
http://citebase.eprints.org/analysis/correlation.php
These are all among Tim's treasure-troves that the world has yet to
discover and mine!)

Stevan Harnad