Re: preservation vs. Preservation

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 16:02:04 -0500

On 6-Mar-06, at 3:02 PM, C.Oppenheim_at_lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> Stevan, I self-archive to ensure my articles are widely read now
> AND WILL BE
> FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE. The former without the latter is just
> nonsensical.

Charles, we are talking at cross-purposes. The small-p preservation
that I said OA Archives of course provide already is what ensures
that the OA continues into the foreseeable future. The problem, to
repeat, is not preservation, but presence (or rather absence) of 85%
of the target content. That 85% will not be deposited if the
ostensible reason for depositing is Preservation! Nor will it be
deposited if we complicate the deposit process with needless extra
steps (like the permission/licensing stuff you recommended). Remember
that when depositing is *not* being done, the way to induce it is not
with spurious rationales for doing it ("Preservation"); nor with
increasing (rather than decreasing) the weight of what actually needs
to be done.

But of course the best inducement will be institutional and research
funder mandates; once those are in place, all this palaver about
archiving for Preservation will be mercifully moot (and all will be
safely preserved, migrated, etc.).

Stevan