Re: Poynder Again on Point on Institutional Repositories

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_ELN.BC.CA>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:49:30 -0800

Separation of the terms "Open Access Archives" for OA research and
"Institutional Repositories", makes a great deal of sense to me.

One of the reasons for this is that "Open Access" clarifies the
expected access status.

The term "Institutional Repository" seems better suited to the
broader range of material produced by the institution, some of which
should not be openly accessible (such as personnel and student
records). Many organizations will probably end up with more than
one repository, for different kinds of materials, precisely because
of the necessary difference in access.

The Open Access Archive can be hosted on a server which needs little
security, for example; only enough to prevent hacking of the archive
itself, not authentication. Other types of materials that will end
up in different repositories need much more security. Mixing these
up complicates both set-up and running of the repositories /
archives; it is best to keep them separate.

It is appropriate, in my view, that the Open Access Archives be the
immediate priority for libraries, and this is indeed the case in
practice if not in name for the libraries I am familiar with. Small
p preservation (ensuring backups, etc.), should be fine for now; some
of the details of long-term Preservation still need to be worked out,
at any rate.

Heather Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com