Re: Copyright retention is not a prerequisite for self-archiving

From: C.Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:28:57 -0000

Sorry, but copyright IS important. There are debates as to who owns the
copyright in research output, and some institutions insist they own the
copyright, not the individual researcher, and in other cases, researchers
have (arguably foolishly) assigned the copyright to the publisher, and under
those circumstances, they have no rights to self-archive unless the
publisher grants them this right back again. There is a lively debate in
copyright circles on these matters, and they cannot be brushed aside as
irrelevant. I know Stevan gets frustrated when all sorts of (to him
trivial) objections are raised to his master plans, but in the real world
they need to be addressed.

"Publishing" in law means making available to the public (whether for a fee
or not) a copy of the item on demand. Putting an item in an OA archive is
therefore publishing. It may not be publishing in terms of the publishing
industry, but it is still publishing!

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science