Re: Eprint versions and removals

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:03:15 +0000

As this topic (multiple versions) has been much-discussed in the Forum
in the past, and as it already has three FAQs, I am prepending the URLs
for the FAQs and prior postings:

FAQs:
    http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#2.Authentication
    http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#3.Corruption
    http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#23.Version

Some Prior AmSci postings:

    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0856.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2766.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2778.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4210.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4257.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4720.html

Bottom line:

    (1) OAI and IR software allows version control

    (2) Access to author's self-corrected final draft (postprint) is
    infinitely prefereable to no access at all

    (3) All this is a supplement, existing in parallel, with the
    publisher's official published version of record

If you don't self-archive your postprints, you decree that you only
want your work used and cited by those whose institutions can afford to
subscribe to the journal publisher's proprietary version. You thereby
forfeit a substantial proportion of your potential research impact.