Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:03:39 +0000

> May I ask you when CogPrints was first created? What was its official launch date?

CogPrints was launched August 19, 1997
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/timeline.htm

I might add that CogPrints (as well as Arxiv) are obsolescent as
primary loci for direct deposit: Since 1999 (the OAI interoperability
protocol) the distributed network consisting of authors' own OAI-compliant
Institutional Repositories (IRs) has become the natural and optimal locus
for direct deposit. Central Repositories (CRs) (like Arxiv and CogPrints) if they
perdure at all, will become harvesters from the primary research providers
(IRs), rather than the locus where papers are deposited directly. The
same applies to PubMed Central.

Depositing directly in a CR is as silly today as depositing directly in
Google! Citeseer is a better model for an OA-age CR than Arxiv, because
it already is (and always has been) a harvester rather than a direct
locus for central deposit. OAIster is another example, and there are more.

Stevan Harnad