What To Do About Depositing Gray Journal and Pale-Green Journal Articles in Your Institutional Repository

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:36:20 +0000

    [Posted anonymously, with permission]

Dear [identity deleted]:

Thank you for forwarding the remarkably convoluted (and revealing -- and
familiar) reply you received from the permissions person of a Gray
journal publisher when you asked whether they endorse deposit in
your Repository. (Anonymized appended after this reply.)

What follows is the correct institutional strategy for depositing
articles published in Gray and Pale-Green journals in your institutional
repository.
http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php

Your university should adopt an Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access
(IDOA) mandate: that will cover all of these options without any
copyright worries:
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

(1) All authors deposit the *postprint* -- the peer-reviewed, revised final
draft immediately upon acceptance for publication (without exception).

(2) If the author wishes (e.g., for a gray or pale-green journal
article), set access to that postprint as Closed Access, which means
only the metadata (author, title, date, journal, abstract, references)
are visible and accessible webwide; the postprint itself is accessible
only to the author.

(3) Make sure the Institutional Repository has implemented the "Email
Eprint Request" button. It will provide almost-instant, almost-OA
during any publisher embargo.
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html

[(4) In addition, optionally, if the author wishes, any pre-refereeing
preprint can be deposited and made OA before submission, regardless
of whether the publisher is green, pale-green or gray. This is not
a substitute for the postprint, but a supplement. The publisher has no
say over access to it.]

That covers all cases, provides immediate OA to the 62% of articles in
Green (or Gold) journals and provides almost-instant/almost-OA to the
remaining 38% pale-green and gray journal articles. (Once IDOA is widely
mandated, embargoes will die their well-deserved natural death, and
journals will all turn green -- perhaps even gold.) But do not delay
adopting IDOA!

May I have permission to post a fully anonymized version of this
(removing the University and publisher identifiers) publicly, so all
institutions can know the strategy to use for such cases?

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad
American Scientist Open Access Forum
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h