|Donating your time||Making a gift from the USA|
|Financial gifts and Gift Aid||Leaving a legacy to the University|
|Annual giving||Corporate giving|
|Other ways of tax-effective giving|
Why support Southampton?
Find out why a gift to the University is an investment that can make a real difference
Become a volunteer – we are always looking for volunteers to help out at our events, to share career and industry experience with students or to support the work we carry out in the community. If you’re interested in getting involved, visit our volunteering pages or call the Volunteering Coordinator on +44 (0)23 8059 8484.
Become a fundraiser for one of our research areas or projects to raise awareness or funds. Contact us if you would like to raise funds for us or are already planning a fundraising activity, so that we can provide additional information and support.
Our charitable status means that we can claim Gift Aid and make your donation go further. If you are a UK taxpayer, don't forget to tick the 'Gift Aid' box to enable us to receive £1.25 for every £1 you donate.
Find out more about our charitable status and Exempt Charity Number.
Making a financial gift couldn’t be easier. You can:
- set up a direct debit by filling out and sending us a gift form
- pay by cheque or cash by filling out our gift form and sending it to us
- pay by credit or debit card either by donating online, or through sending us a gift form
- use a Charity Aid Foundation (CAF) voucher by filling out the relevant section on our gift form and sending us the form and voucher
Cheques and CAF vouchers should be made payable to ‘The University of Southampton’. Our postal address is: Office of Development and Alumni Relations, University of Southampton, Highfield Campus, FREEPOST LICENCE NO SO286, Southampton, SO17 1YN, United Kingdom.
Every year thousands of alumni and friends give to the University, providing support to many of our students through our student support and student experience funds. Visit our annual giving pages to find out more.
If you are interested in tax-effective ways of making a one-off or regular donation then one of the following methods might be for you.
- Payroll giving is a pre-tax deduction which may reduce the amount of income tax you pay. Ask your employer for a Charity Nomination Form to fill out (usually obtained from payroll) and your employer can make sure your donations come out of your wages. Next, fill out and post our payroll giving form, which means we can ensure your donations are used according to your wishes.
- Gifts of shares enable you to give or sell shares to the University. This can reduce your income tax bill, and Capital Gains Tax (CGT). If you are interested in this kind of gift then we advise you speak to your financial advisor, and/or contact us (+44 (0)23 8059 9079) for more information on the benefits and how to set this up.
- Gifts of land or buildings will reduce your income tax and exempt you from Capital Gains Tax. The market value of the land or property will be deducted from your Income Tax Liability. If you are interested in making this kind of gift please contact us by email or call +44 (0)23 8059 9079.
- Also, if you are a higher rate taxpayer (paying 40% or more income tax) then you can claim back the difference between the basic rate of tax (20%) and your highest rate of income tax by completing a tax return on your Gift Aid donation.
You can choose to contribute to research, new facilities or support for students
If you live in the USA and would like to make a financial donation to the University of Southampton, the best way to do so is to make a donation to the British Schools and Universities Foundation (BSUF), stating a preference for the university of your choice. The BSUF is a charitable organisation recognised by the US Internal Revenue Service. You may claim an income tax deduction for a donation to the BSUF, but not a direct payment made to a UK institution.
You can make a US donation to BSUF via:
- A cheque made payable to ‘British Schools and Universities Foundation’ and forwarded together with the Donor Transmittal Form to: British Schools and Universities Foundation, 575 Madison Avenue, Suite 1006, New York, NY 10022-2511, USA.
- Online credit card payment via the donatenow website.
Please note: Donor preferences are respected by the BSUF but all grants are made at its sole discretion, as required by the IRS.
This is an excellent way of making a real difference to the University of Southampton. Legacy gifts are also tax exempt, so they can reduce the tax payable by your estate.
For more information on legacy wording, and specifying how you wish your legacy to be spent (you can specify a particular University fund) download our Legacy Help leaflet.
If you are thinking of leaving a legacy to Southampton please do get in touch with us. It is very useful for us to have information on legacy pledges, and it means that we can thank you accordingly for your generosity and for thinking of the University in such a personally significant way.
All companies can qualify for tax relief on gifts to the University. Corporate donations can include:
- financial gifts (either by donating online, by cheque, or direct debit – see above)
- gifts of goods or services (contact us if you are interested in donating goods, equipment or staff services)
- gifts of land, buildings or shares (contact us and speak with your financial advisor if you are interested in making this kind of donation)
- payroll giving – the costs of setting up company-wide payroll giving are minimal, can inspire a giving culture in your workplace, and can decrease your corporation tax. Ask your employees to fill out a Charity Nomination Form, and then to fill out our payroll giving form. Instructions on how to set up payroll giving can be found on the HMRC website
- corporate sponsorship – we have many specific research programmes which you can sponsor. Contact us for more information on how you can start a corporate sponsorship programme and to find out about projects that currently need funding