Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Special Collections

MS 172 Papers of the Stepney Jewish Lads' Club

Stepney Jewish Lads' Club

The club was founded in 1901. In 1960 it merged with the Cambridge and Hackney Associated Clubs, moved to Redbridge and became known as the East London Jewish Youth Centre.

About the collection

Minute books, 1924-56.

Copies of The Stepnian, 1932-49; Stepney Jewish Club Chronicle; West Central Jewish Lads' Club Magazine; and The Bradian. Copies of Stepney Jewish Lads' Club Denzil Myer Magazine, Nov 1922 and Jul 1928. History of the Stepney Jewish Lads' Club, 1901-36 and three Stepney Jewish Lads' Club booklets, 1914-15 and n.d.; pamphlet issued in memory of Robert Asknew, 1901-40; address of B.L.Q.Henriques on `The club and the religious problem', 1930, and A to Z of Judaism published by the Religious Advisory Committee, 1963.

General correspondence files and correspondence with branches in Manchester and Sussex, 1954.

Photographs of the Anglo-Jewish Youth cross country teams, of Anglo-Jewish Youth camps, of Major E.A.Myers of the Sixth City of London Rifles, and of the presentation to Oliver Lyttleton, chairman of the national appeal for boys' clubs, c.1934-49.

Two caricatures, one being `The sardine supper', a caricature of L.Goldberg, 1938.

Date range:


Former references:

AJ 250


2 boxes

Useful Downloads

Need the software?PDF Reader

Contact Us

Please contact us if you have any questions about the collection.

Visit Us

Find out how to book an appointment to view the collection.

Privacy Settings