Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton

Who to contact if you have a problem

The University is committed to being a good neighbour and working to ensure its impact on the local area is both enriching and beneficial. However, we recognise that with a large number of students living in the locality, there may sometimes be a small minority who are less than considerate towards their neighbours. 

Local agencies including the police and Southampton City Council have a role to play in providing support to residents in the local community who have concerns about anti-social behaviour and noise disturbance. If an attempt to resolve the matter with the individual/individuals concerned or their landlords is not possible, or has not led to a satisfactory resolution, we encourage you to contact the relevant agency in the first instance but also to inform the University.

The procedures outlined below are designed for use by all members of the community, including students and University staff. Students living in halls wishing to report a noise problem should follow the halls’ discipline procedure.

Complaints about noise or anti-social behaviour

Initially, please try to resolve the matter with the individual directly, if deemed safe to do so. In most cases young people and students do not realise the impact of their behaviour and a quiet word can help prevent a reoccurrence.

Attempt to make contact with the landlord of the property to see if they can resolve the issue.

Household noise complaint

We advise you contact the Environmental Health Department at Southampton City Council in the first instance. The Council has a legal duty and direct enforcement options open to them.

Please also inform the University of Southampton using the contact details below. We will also investigate the matter and take action where possible.

Email: or call 023 8059 4799

Anti-social behaviour complaint

Contact the police on the non-emergency number 101 or Southampton City Council

The police or City Council may alert the University to any action taken against its students and the University will consider invoking the disciplinary procedure where appropriate

Complaints about noise and behaviour at a University venue

Contact the University's 24-hour Central Control on 023 8059 2811

Issue relating to parking or transport

For parking issues on the public highway, visit the Southampton City Council website.

For parking issues at the University, contact the University’s Transport section on 023 8059 7721 or email

Issue relating to University estates and building projects

Contact the Programme Management Unit on 0800 783 4597

Alternatively, email

Other issues

Contact the University on 023 8059 4799 or email

Page updated June 2019

Privacy Settings