Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Doctoral College


University Fees

Fees for Doctoral Programmes are listed on the Postgraduate Research Fees and Funding webpage and are reviewed annually. Information on funding and postgraduate loans can be found here.

If your studies are funded partly or fully by an external organisation, the University will continue to request payment of fees until you enter nominal registration.  If your candidature will extend beyond the period of funding agreed by your sponsor, it is your responsibility to enter into discussions about funding arrangements beyond this period.  You will become personally liable for the payment of your tuition fees once your sponsor’s funding period has ended.

Faculty Studentship Office

If you have a query regarding your studentship please email contact Abigail Ramsden at

Studentship Payment Details

If you are in receipt of a Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences Studentships the payment dates are the first of October, January, April and July. These payments are based upon students being correctly enrolled. If there is a problem with your enrolment then these payment dates may be delayed until your enrolment is corrected.


Research Training and Support Grant (RTSG)

The RTSG is a pot of money which students may access to meet the following costs and expenses incurred by award-holders during the course of their supervised studies:

  • Travel Costs (conferences and workshops)
  • Training courses
  • Books or software

Students and supervisors should discuss the RTSG budget and its use at the initial Academic Needs Analysis, and at least at the annual reviews thereafter. Expenditure should normally be agreed in advance with the main supervisor.

Please note that your supervisor is expected to have additional funds on their own codes to support your research running costs and additional conference or training requirements.

How much RTSG is allocated per student?

  • RTSG allocation depends on a student’s fees status and/or the source of their research studentship. RTSG is available for three years and it is pro-rated for part-time registration.
  • PGR students who are not funded by an EPSRC Doctoral Training Grant (DTG) are entitled to a £250 RTSG per year.
  • EPSRC DTG funded students will receive a £1,000 RTSG per year.
  • CDT students should contact their CDT Administrator/Manager.

Please note that the funding can roll over from year to year, but any overspend must be repaid to the Faculty

How can I claim my RTSG?

The Faculty’s Finance Team can confirm how much RTSG a student has been allocated and will also provide a student with their sub-project code to use when claiming back any cost/paying for activities.

The team can be contacted via email: Stella Feng on or Emily Allen

To make a claim please submit the relevant claim form to the Expenses & Purchasing office in Building 37, room 3049.

Please refer to the Finance Intranet, and the Expenses and Travel section for guidance on how to submit an Expense Claims, FAQS and relevant policies.

RTSG Payment Details

How much?

£1200 per student given at the start of years 1, 2, and 3. Year 2 and 3 provision is subject to timely and successful completion of year 1 and year 2 progress report stages. Any unused money at the end of each year is rolled over. The money can be used until the student has completed.


The fund is available for all PGR students in ECS, P&A and the ZI in years 1, 2 and 3 with the exception of project students (including EU) and DTC students.

Students with funding into year 4 will also receive a pro-rata RTSG allocation.

What can the money be used for?

The main use for the fund is for conference travel. The fund will cover conference expenses provided the student presents a paper or poster at the conference. Other than this the grant may be used for computer “uplift” costs, summer school attendance and small value consumables.

How is the grant accessed?

An account is created for each student to hold the RTSG money. The account number can be obtained from the primary supervisor who is responsible for the budget or the following finance team member can assist you:


I need help with...

Privacy Settings