Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
We're launching a new website soon and would love your feedback. See the new design
Student Disability & WellbeingPart of Student Services

I have an existing condition but do not have formal evidence


For students with a disability, mental health condition, long-term health condition or Specific Learning Difference (SpLD), such as dyslexia, we encourage you to book a Student Support Appointment (SSA) with a member of the Student Disability and Inclusion team. We can then discuss and explore support available to you during your time at University.

Student sat in a lecture

Don’t worry if you don’t currently have documentary evidence of your disability, we would still encourage you to make a Student Support Appointment (SSA) with our team so that we can discuss the support that may be available to you, including:  

However, with documentary evidence of your disability we can discuss certain types of support, such as: 

Students with SpLDs:

If you have an SpLD and would like to find out more about reasonable adjustments and AERs, please see our guidance for students with SpLDs.

What evidence do I need to access reasonable adjustments?

Students in the library

- A letter / report from your doctor

Please ensure the following information is included within your letter / report:

1. Your diagnosis

2. How long symptoms have been experienced

3. The impact on studies AND impact on daily life


How do I acquire this evidence? 

Student talking to a practitioner

- From your GP surgery 

For more information, please see the 'FAQ on Medical Evidence' guidance in the 'Useful Downloads' section below.

Not yet joined a doctor's practice? 

Find out how to register with a GP

Useful Downloads

Need the software?PDF Reader
Student Support Appointment Information Sheet
Privacy Settings