Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Enabling ServicesPart of Student Services


Leaving home and starting at University can be a big challenge.

You may be living away from home for the first time in a Hall of Residence, worried about how to find a house to share with friends, or experiencing a difficult time with housemates in a shared house.

You may face a range of problems when living in student housing.

You could be struggling to pay for rented accommodation, or face problems with your contract or landlord. There might be difficulties with neighbours.

All of these situations can be stressful, and you may be feeling anxious or struggling to cope. Many students have concerns about housing problems.

The University has a range of options to help you resolve housing problems.

Sometimes problems living with housemates can become acute. The University has a mediation service to help resolve disputes, and in a crisis the First Support team is there to assist. See also the page for when you are worried about someone else.

Problems at home affecting your wellbeing

The University have a Student Life team dedicated to supporting the students wellbeing and enhancing the student experience.

Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Student Life will work with you to resolve stress and anxiety problems, and if necessary will signpost to Enabling Services to ensure you receive the appropriate support.


Difficulty adjusting to a major change in life is very common, and many new students experience feelings of uncertainty and anxiety at being away from home. If this is happening to you, you are not alone, even if it may seem that everyone else is fine. Read about homesickness for practical advice on settling in and where to get more help if you need it.

Finding accommodation

Our Residences team can provide information and advice about finding accommodation, both within University Halls and privately rented. There is lots of useful information on the Accommodation website including links to the Southampton Accreditation Scheme for Student Housing (SASSH) and information about private rented open days.

The Advice Centre, run by the Southampton University Student’s Union (SUSU), also provides advice and guidance about housing issues and has information on approved landlords and housing rights as well as lots of helpful tips.

Problems with your landlord or private rented contract

If you having difficulties in your private rented accommodation and want advice and guidance then the Advice Centre is there to assist. An advisor will be able to help or point you in the right direction. This can be anything from checking over a new contract to helping with any issues you may have with landlords.

Difficulties paying for accommodation

If you are struggling to pay your rent or accommodation fees then the Financial Information and Assistance Team is there to assist. Even with the best laid financial plans, sometimes things get out of control. It's always better to get advice and help right away – you'll spend less time worrying and more time getting back on track.

The Housing Clinic is available to help students with housing issues and offers free legal consultations for any University Student requiring advice on renting a property. The clinic is run on a voluntary basis by second and third year law students and a local specialist Barrister.

Student Life

Tel: +44(0)23 8059 8180


Financial Assistance Team

Tel: +44(0)23 8059 5959

Housing Clinic


Mediation Service

Tel: +44(0)23 8059 7098


Privacy Settings