Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Finance, Planning and Analytics

About Payroll and what the Payroll team does.

Payroll services at the University are responsible for the timely and accurate pay of salaries, wages, fees and pensions to all University staff and pensioners. The team work closely with all areas of the Finance department, as well as Human Resources and other faculties and departments within the University.
The Payroll office is divided into two areas of administration: Main Monthly Payroll and Casual Payroll.

What happens on the monthly payroll?

The Monthly Payroll pay approximately 8000 employees and PASNAS pensioners every month. The records for all employees and pensioners are held on the Payroll and HR system, maintained by both the Payroll and Human Resources teams.

What happens on the Fees and Casual payroll?

The Fees and Casual payroll makes an average of 1200 payments to Casual and Temporary workers each month. Records for all workers are held on the Payroll and HR system, maintained by the Payroll and Human Resources teams.

Where is my payslip/P60?

The majority of staff can view and print their payslips and P60’s through the MyView portal.  A small percentage of staff, mainly temporary and casual staff, will receive paper payslips and P60’s.

If you have problems accessing MyView you should contact ServiceLine at or on Ext 25656.

Who do I contact about Payroll?

Please contact

The Payroll team are located on Highfield Campus, Building 37, room 3083.

Why am I paying National Insurance (NI)?

NI is a statutory deduction for workers aged 16 to State Pension Age. It is calculated on your monthly earnings.
For further information on how NI is calculated please follow the link below.
NI Calculator

Further information on State Pension ages can be found at:

What is my Payroll/Employee/Staff Number?

Your payroll/employee/staff number is the seven digit number shown on your staff ID card and on your payslip under “Pay Reference“ number. Please use this number when contacting the Payroll Office.

What is my holiday entitlement?

Holiday entitlements are handled by the Human Resources department. Please refer to the HR web pages for further information.

How do I change my bank/building society details?

Bank details can be updated via self-service on MyView

HMRC Starter Checklist

New staff who do not have a P45 form from a previous employment should complete HMRC's start checklist. The completed form should be forwarded to the Payroll team, room 3083, Building 37, Highfield.

Please find the document attached.

How do I change my address?

You should change your address details on the personal details screen of MyView. Please ensure that you click the “Submit” button to save the changes.  Please be aware that the University will forward details of your change of address to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as part of its statutory reporting responsibilities.

Privacy Settings