Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Human Resources


Despite the fact you pay tax in the UK, you may need to pay tax overseas, if you work in your host country for an extended period of time. This varies from country to country, but usually any period of stay for over 182 days can qualify you as a tax resident.

The amount of tax you have to contribute will vary according to the country you are in, but traditionally the rates vary between individuals due to your personal circumstances, this includes the residency status you hold in the country and your job role.

You will need to consider the following before leaving for your work assignment:

Please see below for information.

How do I...?



Find out more

Privacy Settings