Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Human Resources

EU settled status and EU staff recruitment

Updated 23 May 2019

The EU Settlement Scheme is now open to all EU citizens (including EEA and Swiss citizens) and their non-EU citizen family members (if they hold a valid biometric residence card), allowing people to apply for the immigration status they will need once the UK has left the EU.

Participation in the EU Settlement Scheme requires applicants to have access to an Android device with near field communication (NFC) capability to use the government ID checking app. We know that many of our EU staff do not have access to a suitable Android device, so we have arranged for compatible phones to be available for staff to use.

If you need to use this facility you must make an appointment by calling extension 22421 (023 8059 2421), the phones are located in Human Resources Reception, Building 26, Highfield Campus, 09:00 – 16:30 Monday to Friday.  You will also be required to bring your own mobile as this is needed as part of the application process.

Please note that the phones are for staff and their family members only, students should contact Student Services on 023 8059 9599 should they wish to use a phone. 

Reimbursement of the application fee

The Government confirmed on 8 March 2019 that the current £65 fee for applying for settled status will be scrapped from 30 March.

People who have paid an application fee during the test phases will receive a refund after 30 March 2019.

If you are due a refund you do not need to do anything. The Government will automatically refund the fee to the card that was used to pay it.  An email will be sent to the contact address provided in the application, confirming when the refund has been processed.  Contact the Home Office on the phone or online if you do not get an email by 20 April 2019.

Note if you have claimed, or intend to claim, a reimbursement of the application fee from the University, the University will be reclaiming this money back from you once the Government has refunded applicants - we will contact affected staff closer to the time.

Frequently Asked Questions on the settled status scheme

Please see the frequently asked questions on the EU settlement scheme:


Frequently Asked Questions on recruitment of EU staff

Please see the frequently asked questions on recruitment of existing and prospective EU staff:


We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.