Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
The India Centre for Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development

Teaching the Teachers: The Delivery of CPD Courses in India

When the Association of Private Schools in Assam, India, invited the School of Education at the University of Southampton to deliver a bespoke Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course for up to 40 of their educational staff, Phil Green, Principal Teaching Fellow in the School of Education jumped at the chance.

Adult students sat at tables listening to teacher
Teaching the Course

The headteacher of the Modern English School in Guwahati, Mrs Jonali Das, who hosted the course, had completed her MSc in Education with the School of Education a few years earlier and had first-hand experience of the excellent track record it has in delivering cutting edge professional development courses to teachers and school leaders.

Assam is a region in the far North East of India with a population of 30 million. Its school system is a mix of government and private schools: across Assam approximately 70% of children attend free government schools, and the other 30% attend a fee paying private school. Two days of CPD is mandatory for Assam teachers at private schools, so the need and desire for courses like the one run by the University of Southampton is high.

Mr Green explains the course concept,

"We began with a week-long ‘Principles of Teaching and Learning’ course. This naturally seemed to evolve over a number of weeks to become a teaching and leadership course as more and more senior teachers and school leaders became interested in what we were offering.

"The course was attended by 30 to 40 delegates each day dependent on their availability. And from information we gathered we were able to identify half of the delegates as classroom teachers and the other half as primarily in a school leadership role of some sort."

Adult students hold up classwork
Delivering the course

The success of the Assam CPD programme was due in no small part to the structure adopted for the week; the emphasis of work and input shifted from instructors to students during days four and five of the programme so that the delegates could enjoy and appreciate being highly involved through sharing innovative practice ideas and engaging in small group themed discussions.

Mr Green is already planning for the next programme to be delivered in India.

 

For further information, visit the School of Education

The course was deemed a resounding success with very positive qualitative and quantitative comments from delegates. Our Southampton staff that delivered it also found the cultural experience of visiting India really fulfilling, along with the professional challenge.

Privacy Settings