Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
The University of Southampton
Southampton Law School Undergraduate study


LLB is a qualifying law degree, and it provides the holder with the opportunity to undertake further professional training in order to practise as a lawyer in the UK, provided that the standard of the degree is good.

On this page you will find some information for international students seeking to work at home in their own countries, but also considering working as a lawyer in the UK. You will also find information here for UK students seeking to work overseas with their UK LLB.

Students at table studying
Students studying on campus

Working in the UK for international students

The University Careers department have information for international students on working in the UK and employment destinations for holders of the LLB.

The Tier 1 Post Study Work visa , allows international law students to work until the end of their Training Contract with a firm of Solicitors, however international students will normally then have to apply for a work permit. One option for international law students is to apply to those international law firms from your home country, e.g. the US, who have offices in the UK, some of whom may offer Training Contracts and who may be more receptive to to offering professional posts to international students from their home country.

Working as a lawyer in Canada

For those wishing to practise law in Canada the Canadian Bar Association is a members' organisation for Canadian lawyers and the Federation of Law Societies in Canada have established a National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) to conduct assessment of degrees taken outside of Canada for whose who wish to practise law professionally in Canada.

Requirements for accreditation by the Canadian Bar Association are determined by the National Committee on Accreditation for all Provinces except Quebec.

The Law Society of England and Wales also has information on how to practise in Canada .

Working as a lawyer in Malaysia

Both Solicitors and Barristers in Malaysia are governed by the rules of the Malaysian Bar Council . The Law Society of England and Wales has information on how to practise in Malaysia.

Former Chief Justice of Borneo Tan Sri Datuk Amar Jonathan Lee Hun Hoe, obtained his Law Degree at the University of Southampton.

Working as a lawyer in Hong Kong

The University of Southampton and the LLB programmes recognised for the purposes of  further professional training in Hong Kong. Within Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Bar Association and the Law Society of Hong Kong, can provide further information.

The Law Society of England and Wales international pages have details on how to practise in Hong Kong.

For Hong Kong students who graduate with an LLB from the School of Law, further details on How to qualify as a lawyer in Hong Kong are available, written by the School of law.

Working as a lawyer in China

The All China Law Society (Chinese) and ACLS English represents and regulates the law profession in China.

Information from the Law Society of England and Wales on How to practise in China .

Working as a lawyer in Nigeria

Graduates with a law degree from England and Wales or the UK Legal Practice, may not practise law unless they have also been called to the Nigerian Bar. To see the requirements for admission to the Bar and the Nigerian Bar Course see the websites for the Nigerian Bar Association and the UK Law Society How to practise in Nigeria website.

Working as a lawyer in India

Indian applicants for the LLB from University in England from a recognised institution, can return to seek training for professional practice in India if their education in the UK has met the following Bar Council of India rules, issued in August 2009.

  • Pass a three year bachelor degree in any subject in India (BA, BSc, BCom, BBA) and then pass the three year UK LLB
  • Pass the three year UK LLB and the one year UK LPC/BVC, and a two year training contract or a one year Pupillage.
  • Pass a four year LLB including a year  of Accounting, Finance, Management or a Language, and pass the one year LPC/BVC or a one year Masters degree.

Further information is available from the Law Society of England and Wales pages on how to practise as a lawyer in India .

Privacy Settings