Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
The University of Southampton
Psychology graduate leavers pack Careers

Teachers and researchers in psychology

Job Summary

Academic teaching and research usually go together at the higher educational level. Specialism in these areas of psychology usually involves being a University lecturer or teaching psychology at GCSE or A level. Teaching within colleges of Further Education usually, however, require a teaching qualification such as a PGCE or an Education Degree. Find out more here about options for teacher training . Teaching within Higher Education usually requires a higher degree, most often a PhD, but does not require a teacher's qualification.

As a lecturer you would be expected to engage in what is often called 'research-led teaching'. Your own research can inform what, and how, you teach your students. In addition, you contribute to teaching within your academic community, through publication and through conference presentation of your research findings. Accompanying the teaching and research side of your role, lecturers commonly are involved in the administration of modules, and with aspects of the smooth running of a school, or university department.

Qualifications – How do I become a teacher or researcher?

1) You will need a 3 year degree in Psychology that meets the standards of accreditation by the British Psychological Society. Qualification with a 2i or more provides eligibility to apply for GBC (Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of the BPS).

2) You will need relevant experience.

3) You will need a PhD in a specialist area of Psychology (at least three years being supervised and assessed). You can find out more here about the MPhil/PhD course in Psychology at the University of Southampton .

What relevant work experience would I need?

The following points include examples of relevant work experience, some include jobs in the local area.

Jobs are advertised in the 'Psychologist Appointments' , which is part of The Psychologist (the BPS monthly magazine), in newspapers (e.g. The Times, The Guardian, The Independent) in specialist publications from the Health Service Journal and the Department of Health website , and on

Privacy Settings