Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton

Teachers (academic) and Researchers

Teaching at Higher Education level

Academic teaching and research usually go together at the higher educational level. Specialism in these areas of psychology usually involves being a University lecturer or teaching psychology at GCSE or A level.

Teaching GCSE or A level usually requires a teaching qualification such as a 1 year PGCE or an Education Degree to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

Teaching within Universities often requires a higher degree, usually a PhD, but does not require a teacher’s qualification. As a lecturer, you would be expected to engage in ‘research-led teaching' - your own research can inform what, and how, you teach your students. In addition, you contribute to teaching within your academic community, through publication and through conference presentation of your research findings. Accompanying the teaching and research side of your role, lecturers commonly are involved in the administration of modules, and with aspects of the smooth running of a school, or university department.

Qualifications - How do I become a Teacher and Researcher?

What relevant work experience would I need?

Photo of Elle  Boag
I feel sure that the consistently high quality training and research opportunities have served to springboard my career at a much faster rate. I am proud to be Alumni at the University of Southampton.
Elle  BoagBSc Psychology, MSc Research Methods Psychology, PhD Psychology

Useful Downloads

Privacy Settings