Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
PsychologyUndergraduate study

Educational Psychology

Helping young people learn

As an Educational Psychologist you would work with families, schools, young people, children and other professionals to ensure that individuals with learning difficulties, social or emotional problems can learn and develop to their full potential. Educational Psychologists may be attached to schools, or may work with local education authorities (LEAs) to provide support for children who are ‘statemented’ or who have identified special needs.

You would carry out a number of duties:

As an Educational Psychologist, you would usually work in public settings such as schools, colleges, nurseries, social services, child guidance clinics or in private practice.

You can either work directly with the children or indirectly through the parents, teachers and other health and educational professions. A growing number of Educational Psychologists are working as independent or private consultants.

Your salary can vary incredibly depending on whether you work in public or private settings and how experienced you are. The Association of Educational Psychologists or the National Union of Teachers provide details for the most recent salaries.

Qualifications - How do I become an Educational Psychologist?

What relevant work experience would I need?

Useful Downloads

Privacy Settings