Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
PsychologyUndergraduate study

How do I become an Educational Psychologist?

psychology postgraduate student studying on grass

1) You will need a 3-year degree in Psychology that meets the standards of accreditation by the British Psychological Society. Qualification with a 2i or more provides eligibility to apply for GBC (Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of BPS).

2) For acceptance onto a postgraduate course, you need relevant experience working with children in educational, childcare or community settings.

3) You will need a 3 year Taught Doctorate in Educational Psychology to gain eligibility to apply for registration with the HPC (Health Professions Council) to become a Chartered Educational Psychologist.


Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of BPS - Basic requirement for postgraduate study in Psychology

Health Professions Council - Registration is a requirement to become a Chartered Psychologist and to be able to use the title 'Educational Psychologist'

Privacy Settings