Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Student Services

Money matters FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about paying tuition fees, what do to if you are sponsored or receiving a studentship and what to do if you are experiencing financial difficulties or are worried about your finances.

If you have questions about Student Finance, Fee Waivers or other funding options, please see the Student Funding FAQs.

How do I pay my tuition fees?

The quickest way to pay your fees is online by visiting the Web Payments site and paying by credit or debit card. If you haven't already done so, you will need to click "Register as a New User" first. Please note the user ID is your University 8 digit ID number.

Your parents can sign up for their own Web Payments account by clicking on the "Register as a Parent" link at the top of the page. Once registered, they can make a payment by clicking on "Pay on Account" and filling in the amount they would like to pay. Please make them aware that due to data protection laws they will not be able to see how much your fees are so you will need to inform them of the amount before they log on.


How much do I owe?

After you have enrolled you can view and pay your fees online using Web Payments. You will need to register to use this service and then login using your student ID number.


I have been locked out of Web Payments, how can I unlock it again?

If you enter your password incorrectly three times your Web Payments account will be locked for about an hour. If you know your password you can sign in and make a payment after this time however if you have forgotten your password you will need to reset this to use the system again.

If you have forgotten your password you will be asked for the secret answer you set up when you registered. If you have forgotten this as well your will need to contact Serviceline to have your account reset either by emailing or calling +44(0)23 8059 5656.

I'm getting a tuition loan, how do I let the University know?

You should not need to do anything. However, if you receive a reminder requesting payment of tuition fees please email the Student Services Hub ( with a copy of your Student Finance letter confirming that you have applied for a tuition loan. If you do not have this letter, take a print screen of your online Student Finance account and email this instead.

I am sponsored, what should I do?

If your fees are being paid by a sponsor you will need to complete a copy of the SP1 form, and email it to the Student Services Hub ( The Fees team will then invoice your sponsor directly. You will need to have a new form completed for each year of study.

I have not received my maintenance loan, what should I do?

As long as you have applied for your student maintenance loan on time you should receive the funds within a few days of attending your induction. If you have not received this, it may mean your attendance has not been confirmed and if in your first year you will need to visit your faculty office to have this completed. If in second year and above you will have to contact the Student Records team on Alternatively your details may be incorrect. Please contact Student Finance directly to confirm that you have completed all the steps they require. You should ensure that you have signed and returned your Student Finance Declaration Form as not doing this promptly will delay payment.

I have been awarded a studentship, when should I expect the receive this?

Studentships are usually paid in four instalments, October, January, April and July. However, this can be different depending on the award and your course length. To confirm payment amounts or payment dates please speak to your faculty Student Office who will be able to provide you with this information.

How will my studentship be paid?

The fastest and easiest way to be paid your studentship is by BACS straight into your bank account. You can update your bank details on SUSSED by updating your personal record.

Where can I get a letter confirming fees amount or payment dates?

The Student Services Hub can help with letters you may need. They can be requested online and will be emailed to you as a PDF. Please see our dedicated letters page for more information.

What bursaries and scholarships could I apply for?

The university offer a variety of bursaries and scholarships to undergraduate, postgraduate, international and home students which you may be eligible for. Most of these are awarded by your faculty of study, however there are some central bursaries available.

I am on placement,can I still receive the university bursary?

If you are not liable to pay the full tuition fees for the current academic year then you will not be eligible to receive the University of Southampton bursary for that year.

I am going on suspension,will I still receive my full bursary entitlement?

No, your bursary will be stopped at the point at which you suspend.

Can I change my bursary option?

No, Once you have made your choice during the online enrolment process then this can no longer be changed, but you will be able to change it in subsequent years. New starters in 2018/19 who meet the criteria will only be able to able to receive a cash bursary.

I am struggling financially, where can I get some support?

If you are struggling financially you may be entitled to apply for the Student Support Fund. You can email the Financial Support Team directly at . Please make sure you read the information and guidelines available online before emailing the team.

I am struggling to pay outstanding tuition or accommodation fees, what can I do?

The university offer a variety of bursaries and scholarships to undergraduate, postgraduate, international and home students which you may be eligible for. Most of these are awarded by your faculty of study, however there are some central bursaries available.

Privacy Settings