Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Student Services

Need help?

During your time as a student you may encounter times when you need help and support. The information on this page will guide you to advice and support available. Whatever problem you may be having, there will be someone who can help you.

Immediate support

If you feel like you need immediate help and support, there are a number of University services and external organisations that may be able to help.

NHS 999/111

In a medical emergency please call 999 for immediate help. You can call 111 when you need medical advice but it’s not a 999 emergency. When you phone 111 your call is handled by an advisor who can guide you on what treatment you need. If the advisor believes that you need an ambulance they will arrange one for you. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from both landlines and mobile phones.

Student Life

Student Life can be contacted 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are dedicated to supporting student wellbeing. Contact Student Life by calling +44(0)23 8059 8180 or emailing Alternatively you can visit your nearest Halls of Residence reception.

First Support

The First Support team can be contacted during office hours to arrange support for students who may be facing difficulties in their life or dealing with a crisis. To contact First Support please call +44(0)23 8059 7488.


The Samaritans are a national organisation available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call or email in confidence if something is troubling you. To contact them please call +44(0)845 790 9090 or email

Financial support

If you are struggling financially due to delays in receiving your funding we may be able to help.

The Advice Centre

In the first instance, please contact The Advice Centre at the Student's Union, by calling +44(0)23 8059 2085 or emailing for guidance.

Financial Information and Assistance team

In exceptional circumstances, Financial Information and Assistance may be able to provide hardship funding.

Academic support

The University offers a number of ways to support students in their academic life.

Personal Academic Tutor and Senior Tutor

One of the most important people you will meet while you are a student at Southampton is your Personal Academic Tutor, who will be allocated to you on your arrival at the University and who is normally a member of academic staff in your own or a closely related subject area. Your Personal Academic Tutor will offer one-to-one support and advice throughout your time at University, and will support you in your studies or with other issues you may have.

You should proactively seek support from your Personal Academic Tutor when needed, ensuring you notify them or your Senior Tutor if you are experiencing problems which are affecting your attendance or having an adverse effect on your academic progress.

Contact your Personal Academic Tutor or Senior Tutor as soon as possible if you feel that your performance in forthcoming assignments or exams is going to be affected by ill health or other special considerations.

Study skills resources

If you feel like you need extra support with your academic course or exams please see the Study Skills Resources information.

Academic appeals and complaints

If you need to make a complaint or an academic appeal, please see the guidance provided by the Academic Appeals and Student Complaints page.

Accommodation support

Reporting problems in University owned accommodation

All faults should be reported online through the Planon Self-Service system. This can be found through the Sussed Portal and is on the right hand side under Personal Links. If it is extremely urgent or an emergency then you should contact your halls reception.

Problems with private-sector housing

The Advice Centre has housing advice webpages to support students who may be experiencing problems with housing.

Further support

Disability and Dyslexia support

If you have a disability or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia and need further support, please see the disability support pages for further information.

Common Problems

If you are struggling with a problem, for example homesickness, the Enabling Services website has lots of helpful tips and resources for many different types of issues.

The Advice Centre

The Advice Centre at Union Southampton offers free, confidential and independent help to University of Southampton students. To find out more information and book an appointment please call +44(0)23 8059 2085 or email


Nightline is a conditional and anonymous telephone listening service run by student volunteers from 20:00 to 08:00 every night during term-time. To speak to nightline, please call +44(0)23 8059 5236.

Peer Support

Peer Support is a confidential listening service run by students, for students. To meet up with a peer supporter, please email them on

Student Minds

Student Minds in the UK’s student mental health charity, and has a student campaign group in Southampton. To find out how they can help you, please see the Student Minds website.

Student Discipline

If you wish to make an allegation of misconduct, or you are the subject of an allegation please refer to our discipline webpages for information on the procedures and support that the University has in place.

Privacy Settings