Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Student ServicesVisa and immigration


Students applying for a Tier 4 visa must show evidence of maintenance
Students applying for a Tier 4 visa must show evidence of maintenance

'Maintenance' or 'funds' refers to the money that you need to show on your Tier 4 application to the Home Office to prove that you can support yourself during your studies in the UK.  This money needs to cover your tuition fees and your living expenses.

This page contains useful information on:

The most common reason for a visa refusal is maintenance so please read the information below very carefully.

Money required

You will need to show evidence that you have enough money to pay tuition fees and support yourself in the UK. 

The amount of money that you will need to pay in tuition fees will be shown on your CAS statement.

Living costs depend on the length of your programme of study.  Currently, students studying outside of London need to show money for living costs of GBP 1015 per month up to a maximum of 9 months

So, if you are applying to come to the University of Southampton for a programme of study that is 9 months or longer in duration (eg for a masters degree), you will need to evidence that you have enough money to cover tuition fees (as shown on your CAS statement) plus GBP 9135.

How do you evidence that you have enough money?

This depends on whether or not you are self funding, have a studentship/scholarship, are sponsored or are getting a loan.

You can show your money in any currency. The Home Office use the currency exchange rate on the OANDA exchange rate website on the date that you submit your visa application online.

Although you may not be required to submit documentation with your application, you must prepare your documentation prior to applying for your visa.

University of Southampton studentship or scholarship

If you have been awarded a University of Southampton studentship or scholarship, please state this on your CAS questionnaire.  You will be sent a link to the CAS questionnaire when you have been unconditionally accepted onto your programme of study.  You must complete and return the CAS questionnaire to receive your CAS.

Self funding

You will need to provide financial documents showing that you have the funds available to cover tuition fees and maintenance. The financial document must show the following information:

If you are using a Chinese deposit account, please refer to the guidance in the useful downloads section, below.

Who can show money for my Tier 4 visa application?

The financial document can be in your name or the name of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s). You cannot show the money in the name of any person or other family member as evidence of funds for your Tier 4 visa application. If you are showing money in the name of your parent or legal guardian, you must also provide:


You can be sponsored either by the UK government, your home government, the British council or any international organisation, international company, university or a UK independent school.

You cannot be sponsored by a family member, or a company that only operates in your home country.

Evidence of sponsorship must be submitted with your application. If the sponsorship does not cover all tuition fees and maintenance, you will need to provide evidence that you can fund the difference yourself. The sponsorship letter must clearly state  the terms of the sponsorship and your letter of sponsorship must be less than six months old.

Education Loan

Your loan can be provided by national, state or regional government or by a government sponsored student loan company or as part of an academic or educational loans scheme. Evidence of this must be submitted with your application. You cannot use loans held in the name of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Payments made to the University

If you have made a payment towards your tuition Fees this should be shown on your CAS statement.  If your payment is not reflected on your CAS statement and you are commencing a new programme of study at the University, contact the CAS Team who will update your CAS.

If you are extending your visa to complete a programme of study at the University of Southampton then please email to have your CAS updated.

If you are going to stay in University owned accommodation and have made a payment to the University this will reduce the amount of maintenance you need to evidence by a maximum of GBP 1265 (even if you have paid more than that).  Please note that this does not apply to money paid to a private landlord.

Further information on document requirements

If any of your documents are not in English, you must provide an original certified translation. Our applying from outside the UK webpage explains more about the Tier 4 visa application process.


UKVI Tier 4 policy guidance gives the full document requirements for your visa application.

UKCISA provides helpful guidance about showing evidence for your Tier 4 visa application.

Please note: The University of Southampton is not responsible for content on external websites.

Useful Downloads

Need the software?PDF Reader
Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

If you are uncertain about anything or you have a query, then our comprehensive frequently asked questions (FAQs) page may have the answer.

Visa drop-in and appointments

Visa drop-in and appointments

You can talk to one of our visa advisors by coming to a cisa drop-in session, or you can book an appointment for an in depth discussion.

Enquiry Form

Enquiry form

You can contact us though our online enquiry form. We strongly encourage people to contact us through the online enquiry form rather than to directly email us.

Privacy Settings