Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Working as a Researcher

Trade unions

The University of Southampton recognises three Trades Unions: UCU, UNISON and Unite. A Joint Negotiating Committee is is responsible for University-wide consultation and negotiation on behalf of union members.

You can find more about the JNC from Human Resources.

Research Staff Association

The national group for professional researchers is UK Research Staff Association (UKRSA).

University and College Union

Most staff in academic research and teaching roles - the University's ERE pathway - are represented by UCU (University and College Union).

They provide workplace support, advice, career and professional development seminars, and information on your rights as an employee. They are the sole negotiating body for pay, promotion, and terms and conditions for academic staff at this University.

Their blog provides updates on activities, campaigns, and how you can get involved. They particularly encourage researchers on fixed-term contracts to join our Fixed-Term Contracts Working Group. This working group engages directly with the University in seeking to improve conditions for fixed-term contract staff.

University College Union (UCU)

Other unions

Staff in other roles in the University are mainly represented through:

Professional societies supporting joint membership with UCU include:

The UK's national trade union centre is:

Your professional society, whether or not among those listed above, may well be able to help with career advancement. If you can take advantage of your recent experience to upgrade your designatory letters (say, from 'associate' to full 'member'), this can often give you extra edge in future negotiations.    

Privacy Settings