Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Working as a Researcher

Visas and entry into the UK

People coming to live and work in the UK from certain countries may need a visa or work permit, both for themselves and any family members.

UK Border Agency (UKBA)

UKBA is the Home Office (Government) agency responsible for visas and immigration to the UK. The website includes information about applying for a visa, which in some cases can be done online through the Visa4UK system. However, you should still allow plenty of time for your application to be processed.  There is also a service that allows you to check if you need a visa.

Website agencies promising fast track or preferential visa services may charge high fees for little service. Where possible, you should make your visa application direct.

UK Visas and Immigration

Support within the University 

The University's websites includes comprehensive information for both:

For further advice, you should contact the Visa Guidance Team. The team have detailed knowledge of UKBA regulations and other requirements such as the need to register with the police. 

If your visa is due to expire before your study or contract is complete, you must take steps in good time to renew it.

International StudentsInternational Staff

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

If you are researching in the fields of science, engineering or medicine, or studying these subjects at postgraduate level, you may need to apply beforehand for an ATAS certificate from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.  

Contact us

You can contact the University of Southampton Visa Guidance Team by phone: +44 (0)2380 592032 or email:

Privacy Settings