Re: S/SL/PPV's Trojan Horse

From: Marvin Margoshes <physchem_at_earthlink.net> <harnad_at_COGSCI.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:56:51 -0400

The editorial comment that was inserted into my message is uncalled for.
Also the subject wording is not mine, which was "News item in Library
Journal".

The purpose of my message was to let those participating in this discussion
group know of the Elsevier experiment if they did not already. I refrained
from characterizing the experiment, other than to add some remarks about
possible unintended consequences, with the hope of generating other
observations on that matter. The inserted comment is anything but neutral.
The moderator of a discussion should do just that - moderate, not take a
position.

I do think the question of unintended consequences is being ignored by those
who advocate a revolution in how scholarly information is disseminated,
rather than an evolution over a few years. The colloquial phrase is
"throwing out the baby with the bath water".

Marvin Margoshes