Re: NIH's Public Archive for the Refereed Literature: PUBMED CENTRAL

From: Thomas Krichel <T.Krichel_at_SURREY.AC.UK>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:08:00 +0100

  Paul Ginsparg writes

> of course i conducted consultations with the affected scientists before
> doing anything.

  The importance of this point can not be overemphasized.

  Since 1993 I have worked on the Internet distribution of preprints
  in Economics. I think that the system that has resulted from that,
  called RePEc, is now, after arXive.org, the second largest preprint
  source. The concepts behind RePEc are very different from what I
  perceive are the principles behind arXive.org.

  Of course all scientists need to disseminate their research
  results. All disciplines have books, journals conferences etc.
  But behind that there are many subtle differences between
  disciplines.

  Any attempt to introduce an electronic dissemination
  system in a discipline must depart from a knowledge of the
  special circumstances in a given discipline. As an outsider
  that is probably best done through listening to the discussions
  of the insiders in the pub.

  An electronic system will start in parallel to established
  dissemination system. It must therefore be designed such
  as to minimize the extra cost on discipline insiders. Ideally
  it should make it easier for those who are involved in
  dissemination to perform the tasks that they are already
  doing.

  p.s.

  Note that these remarks should not be regarded as a comment on
  the NIH proprosal, they simply sum up the experience of my six
  years of work in this area.

  Thomas Krichel http://gretel.econ.surrey.ac.uk
                                    RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel