Re: Journal Article Royalties: Reanimating the "Faustian Bargain"

From: Jim Muckerheide <jmuckerheide_at_delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:39:04 +0100

Thank you Andrew. This addresses the "privacy" issue to some extent (along with
dynamic IPs?) As a footnote, I have understood that some web page links have a
more 'active' gleaning of linked data than the 'archived data' in this description
the present records of LANL and similar servers (i.e., I've had a web page give me
back my email address in 'real time' despite my dynamic IP). In that case, such a
'solution' could provide more tools, along with strong policies to enable both
privacy and security.

But the central question to me wa: Is there potential value-added to authors for
enhanced "services"? E.g., to have an option to downloaders to be identified to
the authors, and/or to be included in subsequent discussion or follow-up messages
from the authors? (This could even be 'hidden' as a participant may select in a
mailing list, subject to posting to the broadcast list.) Or for an enhanced
capability for a paper to be linked in "cites to" and "cited by" that would
stimulate self-archiving.

If these and other value-added characteristics are "enhanced" in self-archive
lists, they may provided additional impetus to authors to prefer to self-archive,
as advocated by Harnad and others.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide