Re: Copyright FAQ for refereed journal authors

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:43:48 +0100

Hi Ann & Stefano:

I'm afraid I have to agree 100% with Stefano on this. Not only is
it strategically a much more parsimonious idea to start with only the
(minor, nonthreatening and nonconfrontational) noncommercial right to
self-archive, but this will in fact cover everything one could want
(other than commercial rights, about which I do not care, and nor
should you -- for this give-away refereed literature):

For once anyone can get the paper free on the Web, the "right" to xerox
the publisher's version becomes supererogatory, and the need to
"re-publish" it becomes moot.

Ann of course also has to consider the book corpus; but I think the
natural fault-line that distinguishes the give-away from the
non-give-away literature is critical here, and the fact is that
refereed journals all fall on one side of it, whereas most books fall
on the other. So the right solution for the one will not be the
right solution for the other.

Cheers, Stevan