Re: Open Archiving: What are researchers willing to do?

From: (wrong string) édon <guedon_at_LITTCO.UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:51:49 -0500

In times of transition, laws sometimes become obsolete and fetishizing
such laws has never been very helpful. If my memory serves me right,
English law long kept the requirement that any car going through a city
had to be preceded by a man on foot wearing a red flag to warn the
population. That law, again if my memory serves me right, was finally
removed from the books in the 60's, having been openly flaunted by
everybody for decades.

It seem that we are facing a similar situation here with regard to the
handling of copyright in the area of scholarly publishing. As Stevan
Harnad rightly points out, the intellectual property at stakes is the
individuals' own, not somebody else's . As a rule, they have not sold
it, but given it away and it increasingly looks foolish, exactly as the
man with the red flag looks foolish. The real nature of scientific
papers is becoming increasingly clear to a growing number of people
and its commodity status is being increasingly questioned.

Laws that appear foolish are dangerous laws because they cannot be
obeyed and, as a result, they threaten the whole legal structure. Yet.
we do need a solid legal structure and there is no reason to weaken our
legal structure through blind obedience to stupid laws or unjust laws.

In short, we are quickly moving to the brink of a wholesale
re-evaluation of how copyright should be handled in the case of
scholarly publishing and it may be that the law will have to be
modified in the process. Scientific authors are interested in moral
rights (to use a continental terminology), not financial or commercial
rights.

Jean-Claude Guédon

--
Jean-Claude Guédon    Département de littérature comparée
Université de Montréal CP 6128, Succursale « Centre-ville »