Re: Self-Archiving vs. Self-Publishing FAQ

From: Katherine Porter <Porter_at_LIBRARY.VANDERBILT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:57:47 -0600

> I think Stevan Harnad is seriously underestimating the
> importance of "prior discovery", which may be established
> by the date attached to the placement of an unrefereed
> article on an open electronic repository.

It seems to me this raises questions not only about dates of
placement for journal articles but also for patents. The number of
academic scientists (and universities) who deal in patents is growing
all the time. They, and patent office examiners as well, will have
to be well aware of the preprint literature. I foresee business for
my patent lawyer son.

Kitty Porter

Kitty Porter
Stevenson Science & Engineering Library