Re: HighWire Press's Free Online Archive

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:20:52 +0000

No sooner said than done:

> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:07:09 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Michael Friedman <friedman_at_highwire.stanford.edu>
> Subject: Re: Please add these 3 free full-text archives to your list
>
> Thanks for reminding us about your archives. Originally the page was
> going to list just the biggest ones, but now that the page's purpose has
> changed, we're delighted to present these too.
>
> As you saw, the page <http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/largest.dtl>
> has a short description of each archive. Could you send us short
> descriptions of these archives? (I don't feel qualified to describe them
> properly.)
>
> When we receive your descriptions, we'll add the archives to the list.

Descriptions follow:

> > CogPrints
> > http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/

An Open Archive of self-archived unrefereed preprints and refereed
journal reprints in the Cognitive Sciences: Psychology, Neuroscience,
Behavioral Biology, Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, and
Philosophy. The CogPrints Archive software is currently being made
Santa-Fe-compliant and will shortly also be released free as open
source generic Eprints software that can be adopted by any university
for free to set up its own interoperable Open Archives for author
self-archiving in all disciplines <http://www.eprints.org/index.html>

> > Behavioral and Brain Sciences
> > http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bbs/

An Open Archive of preprints of target articles from Behavioral and
Brain Sciences, a peer-reviewed journal of Open Peer Commentary,
published by Cambridge University Press <http://www.journals.cup.org/>
since 1978. Target articles are currently archived from 1994 to
present; this is gradually being extended backwards to include all
back-issues.

> > Psycoloquy
> > http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/psycoloquy/

An Open Archive of refereed reprints of all target articles,
commentaries and responses from Psycoloquy, a peer-reviewed journal of
Open Peer Commentary, sponsored by the American Psychological
Association <http://www.apa.org/>, indexed in PsycINFO
<http://www.apa.org/psycinfo/>, and published since 1990 (Archive is
complete).

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM

NOTE: A complete archive of this ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature is available at the American
Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00):

You may join the list at the site above.

Discussion can be posted to: