Re: Legal ways around copyright for one's own giveaway texts

From: Alan Story <a.c.story_at_UKC.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:47:39 +0000

Charles:

Thank you for the collegial tone of your response. Rather
different, I must say that the response I got from the
list's moderator.

A few responses...

1) To change the facts slightly from my earlier
scenario, let's assume that X and X1 are exactly the same.
Or, to keep the same facts from my earlier post, assume
that CJ copies a section (a substantial part) that is the
same in X and X1. I take your point about the importance of
the question" from where was it copied?" In an infringement
situation, there would be an interesting evidentiary problem
as whether CJ actually copied from X or X1. I am not a
expert in computer technicalities, but CJ might want to/ be
able to disguise the fact as to where it got the
material from as P would be in a significantly stronger
position to enforce rights than A.

2) I assume you agree with my point that once A posts X on
an archives (and I take Stevan's comment that it is not a
private archives), copyright in X would subsist...with
A as the rights holder. So if P asked A, does copyright
already subsist in this work X, A would have to answer yes.
And if P asked A, am I getting rights to an original work?
(that is, has it been copied from somewhere else?), A would
have to answer, "no, it has been copied" ( though not
perhaps the best word, perhaps better would be " no, it is
a copy of an original work, mine.") All of which raises
the question: would publishers consent to the
"self-archiving" stance...which ultimately will be a
question of power and economics. A question for another
day.

3) Again, assume for simplicity that X and X1 are
exactly the same, copyright would subsist simultaneously
with A and P in the same work once P acquired rights to
it.An interesting notion indeed...it would be interesting
to see how courts would react. And I have to think about
this further myself. I come back to the question: would
subsist in X1? Would it meet the criteria of an "ORIGINAL
literary work"? I will ponder this on the weekend.

4) On your house painting analogy:

Yes, when you sell your house to someone, you have no
rights as to how that person paints it. You have
alienated all of your rights. But,in my scenario
(A retains copyright in X), A also still retains rights in
the work. That is, the existence of dual copyright (held by
A and P) would both give them rights...which is different
than a typical house sale. ( In some house sales,
they are two owners, for example, and you have to buy
rights from both to acquire all of the rights). To continue
the analogy, when someone acquired "rights" in a
literary work owned by two people, they would not acquire
all of the rights if they only purchased them from one
owner.

Must leave work to look after my kids....
Cheers
Alan Story

Alan Story
Kent Law School