Re: Legal ways around copyright for one's own giveaway texts

From: Christopher D. Green <christo_at_yorku.ca>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:35:40 +0100

Stevan Harnad wrote:

> This is precisely why I am advocating self-archiving rather than
> switching to new, unknown publishers in order to free the literature.
>
> Why should researchers give up their established, high-quality,
> high-impact journals when there is absolutely no need to?
>
> They can have their cake (publishing in the established journals) and
> eat it too (free the literature) by simply self-archiving their
> refereed papers. (This is why the self-archiving proposal is
> "subversive"!)

Stevan,

Please explain this to me one more time. How can we self-archive our
published papers without breaking our legal contracts with the papers'
publishers, and without risking being sued by them for breach of contract?
(Of course, we may be willing to do these things, but your statement seems
to suggest that we can self-archive without taking such risks.)

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology