Re: Legal ways around copyright for one's own giveaway texts

From: Thomas Krichel <T.Krichel_at_SURREY.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:34:45 +0100

  Christopher D. Green writes

> Stevan Harnad wrote:
>
> > Please note that you are now asking about embargo POLICY, not copyright
> > LAW, and embargo policy has no legal status. It is merely a practice
> > that a journal may or may not adopt, and may or may not follow (such
> > as not accepting articles in Spanish or on Experimental Oenology).
>
> This is a fine distinction in principle, but in practice it makes no
> difference for people who must attempt to publish

  Could not agree more. At the end of the day, each author has
  a choice to make between getting published and surrender copyright,
  or not getting published and continue to have the right to
  self-archive.

  For journals, that is a tough choice.

  But it is a different matter for conference proceedings. The
  prestige from giving a paper at a conference comes from presenting
  it there. It does not really come from having the paper included
  in the conference proceedings. I have just written to the organisers
  of ECDL2000

http://www.bn.pt/org/agenda/ecdl2000/

  that I and my co-authors will not surrender the copyright to our paper

http://openlib.org/home/krichel/phoenix.html

  to Springer for inclusion in the proceedings. I presume that I will
  still be able to present the paper. It will simply not appear in the
  conference proceedings, which I consider to be a minor inconvenience.

  Has anybody here stories to share about copyright surrender refusal?

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                   RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel