Re: The July 6-7 NYAM "Freedom of Information" Meeting

From: Pieter Bolman <pbolman_at_ACAD.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:57:23 -0700

Mark

I think you did not quite get the point I was trying to make. Just to set the
record straight for those who did not attend:

1. I made it very clear in the beginning of my talk that I was speaking 'a titre
personnel', and not on behalf of any organisation.

2. My main point in comparing CrossRef and PubMedCentral was in terms of how to
reach the, what I believe(d) to be, common objectives of both intiatives: a.
"Every research worker should have access to the refereed scientific (journal)
literature of his/her choice/level' b. "All facilities of the Internet should be
available to him/her, so as to ensure maximal efficiency and effectiveness of
his/her research efforts".

My argument was (and is), that it will be a long time (if ever) before the PMC
initiative reaches a critical size of , say, 20% of the biomedical articles
published. Until that time, research workers are deprived of even the most
elementary 'facilities of the Internet' (such as reference linking) for a
critical part of their literature. Meanwhile, the CrossRef initiative, which
assumes that publishers keep their articles on their own Websites and only
requires them to make available their articles' metadata in a 'central
facility', has quickly reached more than such a critical size, thus allowing
reasearch workers access to a large (virtual) file within the next few months.

All CrossRef does is lead the end users to the Website of the article of their
choice: it is up to the publisher of the journal in which that article is
contained to determined the terms of access, i.e., for free or for fee. As the
core (biomedical) literature gets subscribed to (or licensed) by practically all
academic libraries, access is for free for most academic end users. Those
biomedical publishers who choose to make their journal files available for
free, and who, as a result, would typically participate in the PubMedCentral
initiative, can do so within CrossRef as well. Moreover, their articles do not
only remain interlinked with those that are not free for all, they will, in
future, also be linked with the non-primary literature (such as textbooks,
(major) reference works, (numerical) databases etc.), a part of the literature
that nobody has (yet) suggested should be given away for free.

The conclusion is, therefore, that the PubMedCentral solution (i.e. hosting the
journals centrally) for reaching the above mentioned objectives IS CONTAINED IN
the CrossRef solution, thus making PMC superfluous. As an added thought (not
expressed at the meeting): PMC seems to competing more with Highwire than anyone
else - a number of the PMC journals are on Highwire - why have them both places?

Pieter Bolman
President, Academic Press

Mark Doyle <doyle_at_aps.org> on 07/09/2000 06:29:32 PM

Please respond to doyle_at_aps.org