Re: Incentives

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:22:18 -0400

I'd add just one thing to this excellent posting:

The "house of cards" we are paying for includes refereeing as one of its minor
components, and the publishers are trying to make us believe that it is
necessary to pay for the whole structure in order to get peer review. They
know that academics value that service, and seem to think they are
tradition-bound to the extent that they can adopt no alternative way of doing it.

>From the comments of some academic faculty on this list and elsewhere, they
may be right. Many senior people have been so well served in their personal
career by the current
system that they have adopted the "I'm all right, Jack" position and see no
reason to change. I am therefore particularly pleased to note the recent
posting by Joshua Lederberg, demonstrating that some of them take account of
current and future generations of scientists as well. It restores my hope that
we can find effective allies among them.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and